Downtown with the Joneses

I always love the chance to take photos for my brother and sister-in-law and my adorable nephews.  Usually, we do their portrait sessions at their beautiful property near the Poudre River.  But this time, we switched it up a bit and gave their session an urban vibe in downtown Fort Collins.  Even better, the sunset was throwing off intensely pink light and thousands of twinkling lights were illuminating the bare trees.  It was really a feast for the eyes, and a lot of fun for me (and hopefully not too bad for them).  ;)

We took a casual approach to our route, just walking to the places that looked interesting and trying a lot of backdrops.  Having young kids in a shoot always makes the spontaneity flow pretty naturally, and this was no exception.  Some of the best spots for photos turned out to be the ones I least expected.  (I love when that happens!)

So take a look through their photos and get inspired for your next family photo shoot.  I know I'm biased, but they're a pretty cute family.  It's hard to go wrong when you've got all that going for you!




I couldn't resist asking for this shot.  The sky, the lights, it was all too perfect!


What hams they are!  And those hats were cracking me up.

One of my faves from this shoot.  Beautiful Mommy and her handsome boys!

I got one just like this with them all smiling, too, but sometimes these in between ones are the funniest.


I think I said to the older one, "Okay, just sit there and explain something to your brother."  He went for it, and the shots were all gems!


This was one of those unexpected backgrounds.  It was a giant electrical box in an alley.  But with the right cropping, it looks like a wall mural, and a beautiful one at that!

Well, I hope you all enjoyed those.  It's such fun to take pictures of people- especially people I love!  See you next time,

~ Kathryn

Comments